BIGGAR VILLAGE - Walney Island



The first recorded use of the name 'Bigger' came during 1292 from the 'Norse' 'bygg' and 'geiri' meaning a piece of land triangular in shape and were barley grows. The village became a designated conservation area during 1974, after a series of events during the 1960's and 70's where a decline in agriculture within the area resulted in many of the villages farm buildings falling into disrepair through a lack of use. Another reason for the conservation order was due to the increase in 'new' developments being constructed  for those who desired a more rural life. When the order was placed, people still wishing to move into the area deferred their attentions to renovating and converting the existing farm buildings for use as private dwellings, in turn enhancing the village's appeal still further...




















? Copyright Walney Webs. All rights reserved.