CROFT BROW - Walney Island

(aka: Channel Road)

croft_brow_road_02.jpg (47098 bytes)           

Forming the east boundary of the Red Ley Estate, built by Turner & Norris during the 1950's and 60's, Croft Brow, runs along the side of what was once the 'Crofts' (field/s) and is one of the islands oldest byways and which in modern terms is really a 'no through road for traffic', but is still used on a regular daily basis, for accessing the fields at Lenny Hill and the North Walney and Duddon Channel shorelines. Traditionally it was considered the safest and main carriage route from the island across the meetings to the mainland.

Croft Brow came about during the times that Walney Island was considered the 'Granary of Furness', Crops would be harvested at Biggar (as well as the rest of the island) and brought by horse and cart along a track that 'using today's names' would follow Carr Lane, Ocean Road or New Road (constructed in 1779) as it was known previously or alternatively at low tide out of Biggar across Dova Haw, along Empress Drive before eventually either of which would join the promenade and proceed along the channel side of North Scale village, up over Croft Brow to Walney meetings, across the meetings (If you are prepared to spend a little time looking you can still today see the large sandstone pillars that where laid on their sides with sufficient enough spacing between them so as to allow the safe passage of a cart without their wheels sinking into the channels muddy banks) and subsequently on through the Village of Cocken and onto either Furness Abbey or Dalton. Although not really for this site it is worth noting that when through Cocken en-route to Furness Abbey the choice of path would have been along Thorncliffe Road (part of which has since been removed to accommodate the towns Crematorium / Cemetery) and on through to where the wheat was close to the Abbey, hence Wheatclose Road.

During 2005, Barrow Council sought planning permission to have Croft Brow along with the ancient meetings crossing designated as 'public' byway, but without success. Even though being used as a crossing for many hundreds of years it was due to the continually changing sand beds that the meetings were considered to be just to dangerous by modern standards.


October 2008






? Copyright Walney Webs. All rights reserved.