See also: Vickerstown

Named after HMS Dominion a King Edward VII Class.  At the time it was deemed that although the Class were manoeuvrable they were difficult to keep on a straight course and therefore earned the nickname of the 'wobbly eight' from the Grand Fleet. Built locally Dominion had her keel laid down in May 1902 and was launched like many other before her into Walney Channel on the 25th April 1903. The launch was executed by H.R.H Princess Louise, who went on to lay Abbey Road Technical foundation stone the very same day. Dominion took two years to complete entering service on July 1905 at a cost ?1,453,718. Her first service was with the 3rd Battle Squadron Grand Fleet. In April of 1915 Dominion, along with her sisters was withdrawn from the Grand Fleet and moved to the Thames. In May 1916 Dominion was unsuccessfully attacked by German submarine before going in to refit at Portsmouth during 1917. Easter 1918 saw Dominion play the part of ?parent ship? for the raid on Zeebrugge and Ostend, before being placed in reserve. In May 1921 Dominion met her fate and was sold to Thos. W. Ward for scrap and eventually being broken up at their Preston based ship breaking yard a few years later.



A Salvation Army Hostel was planned to be constructed within this area, but it was never to become reality and the allocated land was later covered by further housing development. In 1913 one-hundred houses were built in Delhi Street and Dominion Street by Rainey Bros' as part of the South Vickerstown development, financed by the local shipbuilders and armaments company, Vickers Sons & Maxim. 

Once home to MacAdam's Garage; seller of fuel and bicycle parts and bicycles, namely Freddy Merx, Coventry Eagle and British Eagle.







? Copyright Walney Webs. All rights reserved.