HIMALAYA AVENUE - Walney Island

Named after SS Himalaya of the world famous P&O group. Himalaya, P&O's first post war liner was launched like many before her into Walney Channel during October of 1948 before commencing service on the Tilbury-Bombay-Australia route in 1949 following her departure from the local shipbuilding yard in the August. During her commission Himalaya underwent a number of improvements the first of which was, although controversial at the time, a 'Thorny-croft' funnel cowl to keep the liners decks clear of funnel emission debris without interference to the boilers. Following P&O's sale of the ?Strath? Class liners Himalaya was converted to allow the transportation of ?Tourist Class? passengers only. Having made her last voyage from the United Kingdom to Hong Kong during October 1974 she was sold to Mitsui and scrapped in Taiwan.

 

       

 

STREETS ROADS & PATHS

 

 

 

? Copyright Walney Webs. All rights reserved.