THE QUEENS ARMS - Walney Island

Biggar Village, Walney-Island, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA14 3YG.

Mr. John Hool is noted as keeping a beerhouse in Biggar Village during 1773 although it is not certain if this is the Queens, as the name Queen?s Arms did not first appear until 1871. Their is evidence to suggest that during 1838 a Mr. R. Spencer was listed as keeping an Inn at the village known as "The Letters", a general term for a licensed house with no registered title. The Queens Arms however was most probably named when The New Inn appeared in 1869. A sale to a Councilor Hunter in 1879 was recorded and then again to be sold by tender during August 8,1896. George Casson advertised as taking the Queens in January 1897.








? Copyright Walney Webs. All rights reserved.