TROUGH HEAD COTTAGE - Walney Island

Trough Head Cottage was originally provided by the farmers of Biggar to the 'Herd', in addition to a small wage of course, as it was he who was responsible for the supervision of areas livestock. At the beginning of the twentieth-century Trough Head Cottage, like many other areas of the island, succumbed to the powers of the Irish Sea and fell from the land,  c1902. How can it be that the site of this cottage now lays almost 30m out to sea when in 1833 it was still 75m inland?

 

OTHER WALNEY PLACES

 

 

 

? Copyright Walney Webs. All rights reserved.