VICKERSTOWN INSTITUTE - Walney Island

See also: Vickerstown

The Vickerstown Institute situated on the corner of Central Drive and Park Lane, officially opened it's doors during 1917 after being constructed to replace the original institute, which was a converted terraced house placed within the main 'north' Vickerstown Estate at 3, Gatacre Street. The house provided, by the Estates Company officially opened in 1902, but alcohol sales were not permitted until the end of 1903 after a period of great unrest and debate.

After closing its doors during October 2009 due to the requirement for extensive rework, it would now appear that the days were numbered for this fine example of a building. However the purchaser, a local building firm took on the challenge to leave the original building unscathed with only the additional function room being subjected to demolition. The building survives on the outskirts of new homes and still serves its locals.

 

PUBS & CLUBS

SITE CONTENTS

 

 

 

? Copyright Walney Webs. All rights reserved.